Wednesday, June 24, 2009

7 Rules to Having Insane Amounts of Energy While Losing Belly Fat

Got these tips from my idol, Craig Ballantyne:

#1 - Cut processed carbohydrates & eliminate all added sugar from your diet

If you want to lose belly fat, these are the first foods that need to go. And you’ll quickly find that you have more energy because of the elimination as well.

Personally, I’ve found nixing the breakfast cereals from my diet were a big factor. And if you find breakfast cereals leave you hungry and tired, then you’re a perfect candidate for this plan.

Also, skip the bread at lunch if you find yourself snoozing at 2pm in your chair. And especially if you operate heavy machinery.

#2 - “Drip” Your Caffeine

I’m miffed at myself for misplacing this research paper, but I once read the US Army found that providing small doses of caffeine over time lead to better energy levels than giving the caffeine all at once.

What does this mean for you?

Until they start offering caffeine IV’s at Starbucks, you can just drink multiple Green Teas (about 80mg caffeine per serving) rather than a Venti Americano from Starbucks (about 330mg of caffeine).

There will be no crash and burn on the “caffeine drip”.

#3 - Go to bed and get up at the same time everyday, even on weekends.

I don’t know how many times I read this piece of advice, ignored it, and wondered why I struggled to get back on track every Monday.

So when I finally did it, it was like magic. This has been the BIGGEST change I’ve made in the past year, and I credit it with increasing my energy at least 10%, if not 20%.

Follow this rule for 2 weeks and you’ll be amazed at how much more mental energy you have.

#4 - Exercise(& you should probably do it in the AM)

Short, burst exercise sessions not only help you lose belly fat, but will make you more alert all day long.

There’s no “fat burning magic” to exercising first thing in the morning, but from a pure lifestyle perspective, I don’t think there is any better time.

Morning workouts avoid late afternoon excuses, and since consistency is key, the morning seems to be the best time for most of us.

#5 - Eat more whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, & raw nuts

First of all, if you do this, there’s less room for processed carbohydrates and added sugar. Second, research shows subjects on a low-fat diet that ate more fruits and vegetables lost more fat than another group on only the low-fat diet. (Amer. J. Clin. Nutr. 85: 1465-1477, 2007.)

#6 - Lose weight & get control over your blood sugar

Overweight folks suffer from sleep apnea (meaning they wake up more in the middle of the night), high blood pressure, and high blood sugar, and none of these are good for your energy levels.

So lose belly fat and you’ll start sleeping like a baby, and living like a maniac (that is, someone full of energy!).

#7 - Drink more water

When I don’t, I suffer. And my clients, especially the ones who travel a lot, always report increases in energy when they finally listen to me and start drinking more water. Add an extra cup of water to breakfast, break, and lunch, and you’ll soon see a difference in your thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment