Saturday, June 26, 2010

The OCAI Run: Starting Over Again

Did it still. After contemplating last night, I decided to finally ran for a cause in Ortigas Center today by joining the 1st OCAI Run, a run for a cause event for the benefit of the projects of the Rotary Club of Ortigas Center.

Me and Jeffrey were 20 minutes late,thinking Astoria Plaza was so near Tektite so we won't have trouble in walking to the starting line. Still it took us 15 minutes to get there. Funny cause I saw some guys running already when we reached Tektite where the assembly place was. Walking towards the crowd, I finally noticed that it was already the 5k starting crowd. Whoa. I was late. Then when I heard the 10 seconds countdown, I figured oh well, might as well join this crowd. Then off they went! I told Jeffrey to walk faster cause it was already his run, crossed the starting line and we started running. First time to do this : joined the 5k'ers on their starting line even though I was running 10k. Imagine I haven't even adjusted my pants, waist belt, shoelaces, iPod and Nike plus yet, and I was already running.

I thought, should I just run the 5k cause I was confused about the route of the 10k? Oh well, might as well enjoy it then by the time we reacehd Julia Vargas past Meralco Avenue, I saw runners of 10k. Finally!! But, they already have the ribbons around them, meaning they already went through another route. But I was running with them. Now a silly thing came to my mind: should I just cheat and pretend I already run a half route?? Imagine by doing this I will have a new PR with half the time. Then before I can make a decision, there was a martial pointing me to the 10k route towards Valle Verde. I ran there before I make a stupid decision. Now, I told myseld, this was my 10k route!! Yehey! Wow, I was alone, being the last runner for 10k. It was a nice feeling. I told myself this wasn't a race and I was just jogging for health. I saw a runner walking. I passed him by. I wasn't the last runner anymore! When I reached ULTRA, I already passed by 15 runners. I was happy! Turning back to Julia Vargas, I saw familiar faces: Amy and Suyen, both looking for Jeffrey. I was back in the race.

When I reached the 9k mark, I was a full spirited guy. I was proud to say I walked a lot of distances but who cares!! I crossed the finish line happy!

Coming back from the dreaded flu, I never even thought I would even be joining the run. I just cleared my mind and run-- forgetting about the pace and time. This run is for me, my comeback to fitness and health, a starting over again!

I won the race!


1 comment:

  1. nice one! it really feels good joining and finishing a race. congrats!

    ReplyDelete